Docking is the highest point in Norfolk, and the village stands high above the coastal resorts of Hunstanton and Heacham. Docking church, St Mary, was built during the 15th century and is a large church with some interesting features that include a late medieval font. In 1969 Docking had an unusual UFO sighting. Electrical engineer, Robin Peck was driving through Docking at night when the electrical system in his car failed. He could sense static electricity in the air and then saw a bright blue inverted mushroom shape in the sky that was roughly 400 metres away and 40 metres above the trees. It suddenly disappeared in the direction of Norwich and his car strangely began working again.
The small inland village of Docking can trace its origin back to Roman times. In the past it used to be known as Dry Docking as it had no water supply of its own. In the 1760s a well was sunk some 230 feet down which provided domestic water for the village at a farthing per bucket. The use of this well continued until 1936 when water was eventually piped into the village.
One person to use this well was George Smith, the youngest son of a local shoemaker. He studied theology in Canterbury. After his studies he became a missionary and went to Natal in South Africa in 1871. When the Zulu wars started in 1878 George was attached to the British army as a temporary chaplain to the Central Column. So it was that on the 22nd January 1879 George Smith from Docking, Norfolk was one of the men present at the infamous Rorke’s Drift.
Docking Heritage Group
Docking Heritage Group
Revealing the history of a Norfolk village
HERITAGE ROOM OPENING After a winter break our heritage room opens again for business on Wednesday 4th March between 10am and 12 noon. We hope you can join us. FACEBOOK Docking Heritage Group have created another way to allow people to share their photographs, stories and memories by setting up a new Facebook group called ‘Docking Community […]
Posted: June 28, 2011, 3:26 pm
Docking Parish Council
A Norfolk Parishes site
Taken from the website: www.dockingmarket.com “Come and experience the taste of East Anglia and Norfolk with Docking’s Local Produce Market held Every Wednesday 10.00am till 2.00pm where you can find real food, passionately produced Locally all year round throughout the county … Continue reading →
Posted: August 7, 2013, 9:15 pm
Chairman: Cllr J Wroth – Hall farm, Sedgeford Road, Docking Vice Chair: Cllr M Able – Jasmine, Station Road, Docking Cllr R Playford – Garford Lea, High Street, Docking Cllr K Crompton – 9 Harefields, Docking Cllr S Edge – 3 … Continue reading →
Posted: October 16, 2012, 2:54 pm
Due to the strenght of opposition to the proposed closure of the recycling centre, the decision has been made to keep the site open, though on a part-time basis. Thank you to all who made their comments known to the … Continue reading →
Posted: August 3, 2012, 2:07 pm
Past photos and historic information on Docking is available on the Docking Heritage Group’s website: www.dockingheritage.org.uk
Posted: April 1, 2011, 11:11 am
Docking Parish Council serves the local community with the help of the Borough Council of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk, together with Norfolk County Council. We report and oversee that the village highways and public areas are maintained. We provide … Continue reading →
Posted: March 11, 2011, 2:30 pm